Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP)
The Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP) is a credential that takes square aim at platforms and products from a leading networking equipment vendor found in the majority of communications and Internet service providers, not to mention enterprises and businesses of all sizes, as well as government, research and academia. It’s hard to go wrong by earning Cisco certification nowadays, and the CCNP is its leading mid-range credential across a wide variety of specialties.
The Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) is a required stepping-stone to the CCNP. What usually comes after the CCNP for most networking professionals could be another CCNP (different specialty), one or more Cisco Specialist certifications, or the evergreen and advanced Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert (CCIE) — which is also available in numerous specializations, in parallel with CCNA and CCNP credentials.
Table 2: CCNP Facts & Figures
Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP)CCNP Specialties:
– CCNP: Voice
– CCNP: Wireless
– CCNP: Data Center
– CCNP: Security
– CCNP: Service Provider
– CCNP: Service Provider Operations
– CCNP: Routing and Switching
- A valid CCNA or CCIE credential are required. Prerequisites for specialty CCNP certifications include the CCNA certification in the chosen concentration area or any CCIE credential.
Number of Exams
The primary CCNP requires three exams:
– 642-902: Implementing Cisco IP Routing or 300-101 ROUTE
– 642-813: Implementing Cisco IP Switched Networks or 300-115 SWITCH
– 642-832: Troubleshooting and Maintaining Cisco IP Networks or 300-135 TSHOOTNote: After January 30, 2015, the only exams available for testing will be 300-101 ROUTE, 300-115 SWITCH and 300-135 TSHOOT. The last day to test on 642-901 ROUTE, 642-813 SWITCH and 642-832 TSHOOT is January 29, 2015.CCNP specializations require four to five additional exams depending on the certification path.
Cost per Exam
- CCNP: $250 USD per exam; $750 USD total for the primary CCNP credential.
- Recommended training is listed online for each CCNP track. Self-study materials include books, flash cards, practice tests, virtual and physical labs, and more.